My Blog List

Monday, February 13, 2012

Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cookies - Review


Photo by Shannon's Kitchen Creations
One way that I choose a recipe for review is to go through all of the ingredients and see if any of them catch my eye.  This recipe uses white whole wheat flour which I have been loving a lot lately.  Yes, there is such a thing as “white” whole wheat.  It’s not as heavy as regular whole wheat flour, and has more nutrition than plain all-purpose or white flour.  I like the lighter texture you get from using it.

This recipe contains no eggs, but does add plain, non-fat yogurt.  Other than that, you should have all of the rest of the ingredients in your well-stocked pantry.

To start with, I noticed that Shannon preheats the oven to 375 degrees.  Those of you who know me well, also know that I like to bake all of my cookies at 325 degrees.  I figured that I could just add a few extra minutes to the baking time.  My reason for baking at 325 degrees is because I never want to over-bake my cookies.  I’m one of those who loves a soft and chewy cookie, rather than a hard and crispy one.  By the looks of Shannon’s baked cookies, I think she likes them soft, too.

The recipe does not specify what type of brown sugar to use, so I used light brown sugar.  The reason I chose the light version is because there is more moisture in dark brown sugar.   Also, she did not mention what type of butter to use, so I used unsalted and let it come up to room temperature for easy blending.  If you don’t have time to wait for the butter to soften, you can always set the microwave to defrost and run only for a few seconds at a time until it softens.  Be careful not to let it melt.  The brand of yogurt I had on hand was Kalona Super Natural Organic.

Lastly, I did not have any semi-sweet chocolate chips so I used dark chocolate chips.  I believe that Shannon’s recipe works great with any flavor of chocolate chips you like.  When you use dark or bittersweet chocolate it helps to cut through the sweetness a bit, giving your taste buds a little sweet and bitter at the same time.  Not to mention the health benefits of dark chocolate…

Shannon’s recipe wants you to drop the dough by rounded Tablespoons for each cookie.  My greediness got the best of me, and I had to make them just a bit bigger.  I used my 1 ½” metal cookie scoop for each cookie.  I baked them at 325 degrees for 14-15 minutes, just until the middle set.  I then let them cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to a cooling rack.  Using my scoop I got 24 cookies.  Here’s a photo of how my cookies turned out.


Photo by Cordial Crumb




















Are you ready?  THESE COOKIES WERE AWESOME!!  They were everything I love in a good chocolate chip cookie.   The cookies were all gone within 24 hours.   I made them a second time for a gathering of friends.  All of the comments were positive.  Everyone loved them!  I highly recommend this recipe if you need to bring something for a pot luck.  Make a second batch for yourself, because there won’t be any leftovers! 

Here is Shannon's recipe:

  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup plain nonfat Chobani Greek yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
          Makes 36 cookies
     Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Stir in yogurt and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until incorporated, then mix in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons, 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. ( I use this handy dandy scooper, so they are perfectly portioned!!)
  3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges begin to brown. Cool for a minute on the cookie tray before removing.

I want to thank Shannon’s Kitchen Creations for sharing this recipe.  To see more of Shannon’s creations, go to www.shannonskitchencreations.com

Happy Baking,
Pam








No comments:

Post a Comment