My Blog List

Monday, March 19, 2012

Low Gluten Flour Mix

For a while now, I have wanted to post a recipe for a gluten-free flour mix.  I looked over many different recipes and came up with my own version.  During my research I discovered that my version was not totally gluten-free.  It contains barley flour which does have a small amount of gluten in it.


Just for “the health of it” I wanted to keep the barley flour in.  My flour mix has now become “low gluten” instead of “gluten-free.”  It’s for those of you (like me) who do not have a problem eating gluten, but want to cut back on it to enhance a healthier lifestyle.  I could never totally give up gluten, but I feel better cutting back on it in some of my favorite recipes.


The first thing you will discover when you make your own low gluten flour is that it is not cheap!  The most expensive ingredient is the xanthan gum.  This ingredient is produced by the fermentation of glucose and adds volume and viscosity to gluten-free baked goods.   The good thing about xanthan gum is that you only need a small amount for each batch.   If you can find a friend who wants to try it with you, you can share the expense.



The following is my recipe for low gluten flour mix:



1 – 24oz. bag of brown rice flour (4 ¼ cups)

¾ cup of potato starch flour

1 ½ cups of sweet rice flour

2/3 cup of corn flour

1 1/3 cups of tapioca flour

1 cup of barley flour

½ cup of dry milk powder

1 ½ Tablespoons of xanthan gum powder



Mix all of the ingredients together carefully and store in an airtight container.  This recipe makes 10 cups of flour.   Try substituting it in your favorite cookie or quick bread recipes.


Most of the ingredients can be found in the health food section of the grocery store.  Bob’s Red Mill is one of the common brands you will see.  Also be sure that your baking powder and baking soda are fresh.  You need strong leavening to help with the structure of your baked goods.  You may also substitute the barley flour with oat flour.  Your mix will still be low gluten, as oat flour contains some gluten as well. 


I hope you will give this recipe a try if you are considering a low gluten diet, or just want to cut back.  You may even feel better for it!


Happy baking,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment